Sunday, February 26, 2012

The First Test

I ventured down to Hyannis down The Cape for what would be the first test in my Ironman preparations. I had registered for the half-marathon several weeks ago, along with Rebecca, and figured I could use it as a catered training run, but also as a litmus test to see how my training was progressing. According to my watch, I ran around 2:12 for the race, which is well off my best time for that distance, but racing was not my goal today.
I figured I wanted to run strong, but controlled, throughout the race, which I was able to do. I did not have to push myself or "dig deep into my suitcase of courage". My legs did seem to feel heavier than I wanted, but the previous coouple weeks at work have been particularly rough and my legs seemed to reflect that. I am an Operating Room nurse and am on my feet quite a bit, which doesn't always lend itself to high quality racing and training. But, I made it to the finish line, which is always goal number One. I have a shiny new medal to add to the collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment