Sunday, February 19, 2012

For Starters

So, a few years ago, just before my daughter Grace was born, a friend of mine told me "you're gonna have to give up all that triathlon stuff now that you've got a kid". I thought about that long and hard . . . and I said "screw it, I'm still gonna go for it". My wife, Rebecca, and I love the sport of triathlon, we love the sense of health and fitness associated with the sport, we love the spirit of accomplishment inherent within the sport, and we really take seriously trying to set a good example for our two children. I started racing triathlons in 1996 and have raced every distance from sprint to Ironman triathlon. I have completed 5 Ironman triathlons, which consists of a 2.4 mile swim, followed by a 112 mile bike ride, and is all topped off by a 26.2 mile run. I am set to compete in my 6th Ironman triathlon this July in Lake Placid, NY. This attempt will be unlike any of my previous Ironman races. This year, I head up to Lake Placid as a husband, a father of two wonderful kids, and a challenging career as an Operating Room nurse. The challenges will be there, as with any Ironman, but as long as I keep "The Line" as my ultimate prize, I hope I will accomplish my goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment